Sunday, June 13, 2010

a really great title...

we made it through the final day of kindergarten--Lily was in tears when I picked her up and her favorite preschool teacher was sitting with her (her daughter is in Lily's class), consoling her...I got choked up too, but Lily actually pulled it together fairly quickly in the car and then we shifted gears to pack for our weekend at Mimi and Poppy's. This whole house-selling gig is a real exercise in discipline--because most days, even though you have scoured your home and given it the white-glove treatment, not one soul other than those living there will walk through to appreciate your effort. I am a very sanguine individual--I live for approval--it's how I'm wired...and day after day I perform and I get bupkis!! God has me in the refiner's fire through all this, I suppose to teach me discipline and to await gratification, as it happens to not be instantaneous. So, ever so dutifully, on Friday, as we packed for our weekend, I was simultaneously scrubbing toilets, shining mirrors and sinks, magic-erasering the tile and the kid-induced smudges on almost every surface! The one boon is that I arrived home today to a sparkling home, so even if no one else saw, God did and I got to enjoy it :)
these first two pix are of the kids (obviously) but they were all four playing together the other day and I couldn't help but record it...there are some benefits to having them all within a span of 3.5 years...
Miss Lillianna before school on her last day...I am so proud of this little gal! And tomorrow she is off to theatre camp, where I am sure the instructors will have allowed her to teach a workshop or two by noon :)

humming REM.."night swimming...deserves a quiet night..." I couldn't get that song out of my head the whole time we were in the pool Friday night!






We spent a good chuck of Saturday at the Yacht Club, lunching and swimming--we all had fun and it was so nice to just be there, in the moment with the kids--to not feel like I had somewhere else to be or some seemingly-urgent thing I had to do. I genuinely adore my kids and think they are some of the greatest people on earth...I hope to have more days like this one where they can sense those feelings without me having to say a word...

ok so James wasn't exactly "feeling" the pool at first--he also has some issues with sharing--perhaps 9 months cuddled next to someone before you even got out of the gate would be enough to jade someone...eventually he relaxed and enjoyed the water...but it did take a while and the whole pool deck got treated to intermittent bouts of screaming...











this is the scene...almost man-to-man coverage (my mom hopped out of the water to take the picture)...CONSTANT vigilance...and I mean CONSTANT!! Not a single one of them knows how to swim yet!

this picture is my favorite...this is how I see my little man--flying high, making a big splash--fearless...and not to mention a huge smile on his face
we arrived home, safe and sound--thank you Jesus!!! ready for a busy but good week! cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment